GEAR UP Michigan!
Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs
GEAR UP Michigan! Reaching the Urban Centers, targets the students, families, teachers, and counselors in major urban areas in Michigan. The goal of GEAR UP Michigan! is to increase the number of low-income student's who are prepared to enter and to succeed in postsecondary education.
GEAR UP Michigan! builds on the multitude of career education programs available through Career Development and provides services to 3,360 students in 22 middle schools. Students receive academic counseling, a detailed educational development plan, after-school tutoring, and career and college preparation assistance. They are encouraged to participate in on-campus college enrichment programs. Emphasis is placed on connecting future careers with the academic skills needed to be successful.
GEAR UP Michigan! provides teachers and counselors with intensive professional development opportunities to help them strengthen their curriculum and interconnect career decision making with future college choices.
GEAR UP Michigan! is linked with numerous scholarships enacted by the state legislature including the Merit Award, PASS scholarship, Tuition Incentive Program, and others to extend full scholarships to qualifying students. The Michigan Department of Treasury provides parents, students and counselors with in-depth financial aid information to plan for future college costs.
GEAR UP Michigan! promotes new attitudes that encourage students to realize their full potential regardless of their economic conditions.
GEAR UP Muskegon serves 205 students who originated from Steele Middle School in 2001. The group of students are now 11th graders at Muskegon High School. The GEAR UP 2007 program staff works with students and school staff to helping each student graduate from high school and go on to college, technical, or vocational school. Students receive services in academic counseling, educational development planning, after school tutoring, career and college preparation assistance, mentoring, college visits and financial aid workshops. Part of the program’s success is the partnership it has with various community businesses. The partners include:
- Consumer’s Energy
- Muskegon Public Schools
- Muskegon Community College
- Grand Valley State University
- Baker College
Activities and Service:
- HOME WORK HELP: Links GEAR UP students to help available after school, promoting positive study skills and improving test-taking skills.
- CAMPUS VISITS: GEAR UP sponsors college visits and summer career workshops to give students the opportunity to experience university life
- COUNSELING: GEAR UP staff meets with students on a regular basis to monitor grades, attendance and work with school staff to ensure student success.
- PARENT INVOLVEMENT: GEAR UP works with parents to keep them informed and support them with questions concerns and educate them on post-secondary education opportunities and financial aid.
- COLLEGE PREPARATION AND FINANCIAL AID: As high school graduation approaches, every GEAR UP student and family learns about college admission requirements and the available types of financial aid. The GEAR UP program sponsors and supports the College Goal Sunday activity.
- SCHOLARSHIPS: Every GEAR UP student has the opportunity to earn a scholarship to any Michigan College.
Need money for college? Many students get thousands of dollars in loans and scholarships; and chances are good that you too could qualify. The Partnership for Learning website can show you how.
Information on College Goal Sunday 2006.